Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Drunk visitors and other unexpected complications...

So Caroline is pretty sick. This makes me a sad Panda. Probably a flu. She is currently resting in bed with a full supply of ginger drinks, medicine, and soon rice for breakfast. So hopefully she will soon be on the mend. However, between that and a little visit we received about one a.m. last night I didn't sleep overly well. See the story goes something like this. Our roommate Jake didn't have a key for a while. We made him a key but it didn't work for some reason and he said he was going to get a new one but I'm honestly not sure he has. So we started leaving the side door open for him since he often comes home late. So last night I woke up with a midnight thirst. Proceed to the kitchen, leave lights off so as to protect eyes, consume milk, all is well. Heading back to the bedroom I got an eerie feeling like I was being watched from the darkness. I shrugged off said feeling cause yes I believe in ghosts but I know this place has a ghost and he's pretty quiet. I must be freaking myself out right? So I just go to bed. Once in bed we start hearing noises. At first we think it might be someone downstairs. We hear the bathroom door open and the fan/light turn on then quickly turn off followed by the spare room door sliding open. We are trying to figure out what it could by. Maybe Jake or Charlie? Charlie doesnt seem likely. He has his own bathroom and why would he be going into the spare room this time of night? We didn't hear Jake's door open either and he wasn't in the living room when I went to the kitchen. I start to get worried though as details begin to fall into place despite my half awake state of brain. Caroline gets up and leaves the room while I start throwing pajamas back on. Just as soon as I get my pants on I hear her open the spare room door and some quick movement followed by her popping back into the bedroom with a freaked out look on her face. I look out the door and some guy who I've never seen is staring at me. The following conversation was fairly akward. I'm hoping their is a reasonable explanation for this unfamiliar face in our house. A friend of Jake's maybe? He says yes but follows that up by heading for the downstairs door and making readily apparent just how drunk he is (which is extremely btw). The guy is having trouble with the door. Great. Caroline suggests I go help him with the door. I'm, still being freaked out, understandably hesitant. As I head down the stairs he begins to head up the stairs. I block his path and ask again if he is Jake's friend, "yeah sure I'm Jake's friend" he says with a sort of hesitancy of his own. Determined to be sure I move to Jake's door and start knocking. "Jake do you have a friend staying in the guest room tonight?" "No" is my answer. So that's that. I tell him in its time to go. He, seeming to think we are somehow friend by this point, beings insulting me for being a bad friend, but has the decency to make for the door. Problems with the door still. Now knowing where I stand with this guy and being fairly sure he has no weapons let alone the ability to use the in an effective manner open the door for him and let him out. Lock doors, Caroline calls police. I'm sad we had to do that last bit but really? I don't have a way to take him home nor the patience to find out where said home is anyway. I'm not going to just let him hang out on the porch (which he did until the cops arrived) to greet the daycare parents in the morning. Furthermore, it is cold out. I'm not going to just let him wander the night hoping he manages to make it home safe. He might just wander into someone else's home again. Needless to say the cops handled it. Freakin wierd though. I certainly couldn't get back to sleep for a number of hours nor sleep well the rest of the night. Drunker visitors...Do you have a key Jake? Hope so cause I'm locking the house up from now on.

3 comments:

  1. Crazy!!

    I hope Caroline is on the mend soon!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When going out and about at night, you can turn lights on if you keep one eye firmly closed. Then when you turn lights back off, open that eye and your night vision is maintained.

    Also, sleep with a crowbar and/or machete handy by the side of the bed. People are crazy and you never know when what you think is a drunk dude is actually a zombie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline is doing much better today though still taking it easy. I definitely need a machete...

    ReplyDelete