Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Weekends are Busy!!!

It seems we really only do things interesting enough to post on the weekends. During the week, we are pretty boring. Justin goes to work, I stay home and do laundry and dishes. Justin comes home. Some nights (but not many), we go out to eat, mostly we cook dinner. Sometimes Tim comes over, the boys game. We watch movies. Pretty low key.

The weekends, however, are interesting enough to write about. This weekend was no different. We had a great time with Karin and her friend Will. We met them and a couple more of Karin's friends (Rusty and Gail) for a yummy lunch in Itaewon on Saturday. It was a pub and they serve English/German food. Justin had a steak. We walked around Itaewon quite a bit. Then we went back to Rusty's apartment to pick up Karin's dog and car. Rusty has a very nice apartment filled with beautiful furniture. My favorite was the mother of pearl inlaid coffee table. It was stunning. There was a huge peacock made of mother of pearl on the top. Rusty and his wife didn't bring any furniture from the US when they moved, so all of it was from Korea.

Afterwards, Karin, Will, Justin and I took a cab to Insadong. It is another very tourist-y place. They actually have clothes that will fit westerners there. I am planning a day-trip to Insadong very soon. Great shopping, and there are several temples to visit. Between those two, you can spend a whole day there. I want to wait until the trees bloom more to go back though. It will be much more beautiful.

By the time we had walked through Insadong, we were exhausted. We cabbed it back to Karin's car in Itaewon, then drove through some crazy traffic to Karin's apt. in Incheon. She also has an awesome apartment. Three bedrooms, a couple balconies, a loft, and the roof. She even has a bathtub!! Yes, I got to take a nice long bubble bath. With rubber ducks!! We watched a couple movies, made some gingerbread, then crashed. I am so jealous of her bed. The one we slept on in her guest room was infinitely softer than ours. She has 2 kitties too!! Kitty is a typical cat, not really wanting to be touched. But the other one, Xander, is a lover boy. So sweet, and so big!! He is a VERY large kitty. I love him already.

The next morning we hung around watching movies and playing wii. Ate some delicious banana bread. Then we drove back into Itaewon for Rocky Mt. Tavern's breakfast. They serve it until 3, but we just barely made it. It was great; eggs, bacon, toast and hash browns. Very laid back. Only 6,000 won, and very large portions too. It is a tradition we might have to continue. After some napping on the booths there, we went to the International Market so I could pick up some things. I have all the ingredients to make Chana Masala now. Not so easy to find. Also to make banana bread in the toaster oven Karin gave us.

After that, we drove through even more crazy traffic to Songtan to see Tim. He is working weekends right now. So we met him and some friends at a German Restaurant. It was real german food. I had the bratwurst. We even had apple strudel for dessert. It really amazes me that we can get such a variety of food, and eat out often, and it is cheap!!

We went to Tim's friend's apt to finish off the night with some Rock Band. A great end to an awesome weekend. I took all day yesterday to recover. Naps are fantastic. Tomorrow we will actually be deviating from our regular weekday schedule. I will be subbing at a daycare in May, so I am going to meet the kids. And Justin has the day off!! I hope we will be able to make it by the Embassy to get some paperwork done.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Caroline! It sounds like you're settling in quite well. I need to get directions to that breakfast place you mentioned. It sounds wonderful.

    Did I read that you're pregnant? If so, I have a lot of questions for you. My email address is sarahleighs@yahoo.com or you can find me on Facebook.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness it took me forever just to find a way to talk on your blogger. I miss you guys how are you? hows the baby bump?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Shauna! I can't find your email. Send me a message if you can.

    ReplyDelete